See What we are Talking About!
Three Keys to Managing a Healthy Database
November 17, 2016
Managing and maintaining a healthy and sustainable database is not as easy as the vendors say, but there are ways to make sure database administration meets these goals. Three keys to managing a healthy database include: (1) DBA collaboration, (2) Implementing best practices and monitoring, and (3) Planning for the future.
1. DBA Collaboration
Every member of your team needs to be able to communicate and be involved to maintain a healthy database. This includes your DBA as well as your stakeholders. Ensure that everyone on the team is engaged, informed and collaborative. This also means ensuring that you have the right components and best practices in place. Ways to ensure that you have the right components include:
- Hire a senior DBA or remote senior DBA who is skilled in your database technology stacks to properly manage and maintain your enterprise databases;
- Hire a database managed service provider (DMSP) to fill in the knowledge and skills gaps that are missing from your current DBA team and provides a team of experts to assist.
2. Implement Best Practices and Monitoring
Ensure that your database management best practices are sufficient to maintain high availability and performance. To do this, we suggest:
- Develop a plan for best practices for all phases of database support: Today, database management and administration can be very complex depending on your environment. Best practice DBA services is mandatory to keep your enterprise databases running at optimal levels. Please see paper Top 10 Database Essentials for a complete guide to best practices in every phase of database management.
- Have automated systems in place: Automated systems including database monitoring allows you to establish proactive alerts related to performance, compliance and problematic issues. Without database monitoring, these issues would likely remain undetected until much later when the problems become even more costly to fix.
3. Plan for the Future
Technology evolution is advancing at a rapid pace. Database technology is no different. There are many database technology options in the market today related data. These include data in the cloud, big data, advanced integrated database systems, emerging data security solutions, new high availability and disaster recovery options and many more emerging options andsolutions, it is critical that the DBA stay in touch with the technology trends. Ensure that your team is ready for those changes through continuous education.